Tuesday, February 13, 2018

First Post: The Story So Far



Hallo. I’m Scot Nolan, though you might know me from reviewing and discussing bad movies over the past ten years as “Nolahn.” But this is a new start to a whole new venture, and it seems appropriate to shed the “Nolahn” moniker – especially given what this new blog is all about.

Nolahn, wearer of rabbit ears, 2007-2018
Let me get you up to speed: I’ve known ever since I was a wee lad that I wanted to be a writer, and I’ve been fortunate enough to do exactly that in a number of different formats and media. In 2007, I launched a website reviewing bad movies called Bargain Bin Review. That led to all sorts of great stuff: meeting great folks through the Large Association of MovieBloggers (LAMB), co-hosting The Lair of the Unwanted podcast, running recurring features in the Utica Observer-Dispatch, hosting live movie events, creating a joint website with two friends I made through LAMB, hosting Sunday movies on a local cable station and, ultimately, publishing a book of reviews

It’s been a fantastic experience and I’ve loved every minute of it… but it’s time to try something new. This is something I’d been thinking about for a while, and about a year ago I decided it was time to take on a new challenge.

I wasn’t kidding about the “challenge” part: I’ve been working on a novel, and my ultimately goal is to sign on with a literary agent and get published through a traditional publishing house. Oh, and in case switching gears from short, cheeky non-fiction pieces to long-form, decidedly not-cheeky fiction wasn’t challenging enough, I’m writing a mystery. 

It’s a pretty tall order but I might as well aim high, right?

The primary focus of this blog will be to follow along with my experience as I bumble my way toward my goals. I’ll write about the things I’ve learned along the way, but because I’m most definitely not going to be writing from the perspective on a capital-E Expert, any comments from the peanut section below will always be appreciated.

And yes, I’ll still mix things up with occasional off-topic features. I can take the cheekiness out of my writing, but that doesn’t mean I’m taking the cheekiness out of me.

I plan to post twice a week. I'm going to put a few extra items up this week just so there's something here, but look for my first "Write On" post about my new project next Tuesday.

Wish me luck.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If you can't wait for the next post, that goes up tomorrow. If you can't wait for the mystery I'm writing, that will be a bit longer.

      Delete
  2. Thankyouverymuch! Though I gotta know: If "bumble" is your second-favorite word you picked up from me, what's the first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck to you in getting an agent. I look forward to the mystery book when it comes out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyouverymuch! I haven't quite gotten to the "get an agent" part of the plan, but I'll let you know how it goes here.

      Delete
  4. Congrats and godspeed, Nolah - er, Scot. Going retro with blogspot, I see. I wasn't aware it was still a thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet not so retro as to keep a computer handle like I'm a character in the "The Matrix." :)

      Delete
  5. Good luck with all of it! It sounds great, and I'll be following along with your projects. I really enjoyed the book, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the book and definitely let me know what you think as I make my way along.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post
    really nice
    i enjoyed this
    for any query or support go to Google Contact

    ReplyDelete

First Post: The Story So Far

Hallo. I’m Scot Nolan, though you might know me from reviewing and discussing bad movies over the past ten years as “Nolahn.” But this ...