Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Adventures in Leaving the House: Doug Doug Doug Edition



Remember yesterday how I mentioned that I’d still mix things up with the occasional off-topic items? This is one of those items. Okay, it’s a bit weird to go off-topic on the second post to this blog, but I thought a Very Special Valentine's Day post was in order. Also, Iwant to really get the ball rolling on this blog. 

I work from home. I’ll never complain because there are more advantages to that arrangement than I can even count, but there is one down-side: I don’t get out much. So on those occasions where I do leave the house to visit people or get away for the weekend or pick up a loaf of bread, it opens the door for 



Destination: Skaneateles, NY

That’s pronounced “skinny atlas.” As in, “I doubt you have a street map for Hoboken in that skinny atlas of yours.” Skaneateles is a small town sitting at the tip of the eastern-most Finger Lake in New York State, and it’s known for… being a small town at the tip of a Finger Lake, I guess. I’m under the impression that the place is absolutely lovely in the spring and summer. 

Naturally, my girlfriend and I went in February. 

Some context: I live in central New York State (I always have to emphasize the “State” part, because otherwise people say things like, “Oh yeah I have a cousin in the Bronx – maybe you know him!”). It’s a cute little town on the Erie Canal about four hours from anyplace you’ve ever heard of. That’s great if we want to do a long weekend in Boston or New York City. But if we want run away somewhere overnight, we have to get creative. And that’s how we discover places like Skaneateles.

“But what is there to do in Skaneateles?” people kept asking me. And my answer would ultimately boil down to, “Who cares?” We’re not in our 20s, needing constant adrenalin rushes in between pounding Red Bulls and Snapchatting (that’s what people in their 20s do, right?). We were looking forward to sleeping in, puttering around town, hitting a winery because you can’t go far in the Finger Lakes region without tripping over a winery, going out to dinner, and just enjoying being away together. Easy.

And it was all made easier by the fact that Skaneateles looks like the setting of every Hallmark Christmas movie. Imagine this, but without the holiday decorations and 90s TV stars gushing about Christmas:



The very walk-able downtown area was loaded with quaint little indie shops and the whole area buzzed with activity for no other reason than it was a Saturday. Even the residential streets were quaint.



It was great: the indie bakery had great donuts and even better coffee, the art gallery had great local art, and the tasting room had great gin and a fantastic bourbon cream that I had to buy a bottle of despite not at all liking bourbon. 

That’s not to say the place isn’t without its quirks. Consider this:


Apparently Doug does quite well for himself. Good for you, Doug.

And then there was this promotion we found in the town library:




We thought the idea of a "Blind Date with a Book" was a neat promotion, but the more I think about it, the more questions I have: How exactly does this work? It is like literary Tinder, where you swipe through a pile of gift-wrapped books and let you pick one based on the adjectives written all over it? Or is it more like literary dating site, where you tell the librarian what you’re looking for (“A historical fiction with romance and intrigue, please!”) and the librarian makes a selection for you? 

I know it’s counter-intuitive to razz a program that encourages reading on a blog written by somebody writing a book, but I’ve been trying to wrap my head around this for days. Maybe I should have asked Doug about it…


No comments:

Post a Comment

First Post: The Story So Far

Hallo. I’m Scot Nolan, though you might know me from reviewing and discussing bad movies over the past ten years as “Nolahn.” But this ...