Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Recommendation: The Wide World of Plants with Teri Dunn Chace


I'm not the only one doing stuff – other people have great stuff, too. That’s why every so often, I'll give a Recommendation of something you should read, see or do. Recommendations like this...


Friends, I know you probably don’t like to admit it but if you’re like me, you’re a little bit of a Kingdomist when it comes to plants. I can wrap my head around vegetables, but aren’t all the rest just… plants? 

For example, in my mind there are only three kind of trees: Christmas trees, palm trees and regular trees. I believe there are only three kind of flowers, too: roses (the good ones), carnations (the crummy ones) and the other ones (???). And don’t get me started on decorative plants: back when we were married, my ex planted a lovely garden around the house, but I’m always a nervous wreck trying to weed it in the spring because I have no idea of what’s a weed and what’s a plant that hasn’t budded yet.

Pictured here: A "regular" tree.


Fortunately, Teri Dun Chace, is here to help.

Teri is the co-founder of our writers group, and had written over 35 books (!) on plants and plantlife and planting plants. Looking for a picture book of the best perennials? She’s done that. Want to see seeds in a whole new light? She’s done that. Looking to eradicate some evasive plants? She’s got youcovered there, too.

Personally, I’m a fan of The Anxious Gardener’s Book of Answers. This book plays out like a giant FAQ for idiots like myself who would otherwise do very bad things to his garden. 

So if you’re looking for a deep dive into gardening or for a gift for that special person in your life who knows what a ficus is, then I’d happy recommend any of Teri’s books (available for purchase here).

I searched for "ficus" and this is what came back. See? Even Google doesn't know what a ficus is.







No comments:

Post a Comment

First Post: The Story So Far

Hallo. I’m Scot Nolan, though you might know me from reviewing and discussing bad movies over the past ten years as “Nolahn.” But this ...