Thursday, October 15, 2020

Video Essay: How to Show vs. Tell

It's a pretty old rule of thumb in writing that you want to "show, not tell." That hasn't changed, but sometimes it's easier said than done and there are always exceptions to the rule because of course there are.

To get into the nitty-gritty, I present to you this piece by Meg LaTorre of iWriterly. Meg is a former literary agent who now writes sci-fi/fantasy novels. She also runs the iWriterly YouTube channel, a great resource for aspiring writers -- particularly those working in genre fiction (which I am not, but whatever). 

Telling versus Showing is a common pitfall for many writers -- myself included -- so if you're just starting out on your own project, this will be eight minutes well spent.

 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment

First Post: The Story So Far

Hallo. I’m Scot Nolan, though you might know me from reviewing and discussing bad movies over the past ten years as “Nolahn.” But this ...