Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Write On: Breaking Genre Conventions (Video Essay)


As I’ve been researching agents and gearing up for querying, I’ve been putting some thought into exactly how to position my novel. It’s all well and good that I started off with the intention of breaking genre conventions, but at what point are they broken to the point where I’m no longer in that genre?

Whoa...



I’ll dig into this deeper in the next week or so (look for “Categorically Speaking,” coming soon!), but until then, I present to you this excellent video essay by Lessons From the Screenplay on breaking genre conventions. 

On a channel full of great videos, this one might be one of the best of the series and you (had to be you, wonderful you) should definitely check it out. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

First Post: The Story So Far

Hallo. I’m Scot Nolan, though you might know me from reviewing and discussing bad movies over the past ten years as “Nolahn.” But this ...