Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Write On: How to Write Plot Twists (Video Essay)


If you were expecting the next installment of my novel-writing journey, I have a surprise for you: I'm going to feature a video essay instead. Plot twist!

Some folks make a really big deal about plot twists, but they’re kind of a necessity for a mystery. Put it another way: If you’re mystery doesn’t have any mystery, then it’s not really a mystery, is it?

So yeah, the story I’m writing has a big ol’ plot twist in it. If I’ve done my job right, it works and it’s earned. Still, it’s good to hear that aspects of my plot twist conform to the ideas outlined by Sage at Just Write.


You should know that this essay, by necessity, spoils a whole bunch of movies (though if you haven’t gotten around to Planet of the Apes, The Empire Strikes Back, The Sixth Sense or The Usual Suspects yet, you kinda have it coming). The video also digs into Aristotle and French philosophy. Entertaining and educational!
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

First Post: The Story So Far

Hallo. I’m Scot Nolan, though you might know me from reviewing and discussing bad movies over the past ten years as “Nolahn.” But this ...