Thursday, March 8, 2018

Write On: The Control of Information (Video Essay)



You wouldn’t think I’d get much out of a YouTube channel called Lessons from the Screenplay, but Michael isn’t so much fixated on the nuts and bolts of screenwriting – devote so many pages to Act I, that kind of thing – as he is story structure. For film buffs, these videos offer great insight into what makes great movies work so well. And for aspiring novelists like myself, there’s a whole lot of transferable knowledge to be gleamed from these pieces.

Case in point: Michael’s examination of the control of information in Ex Machina

In this video essay, Michael takes a look at how the author can control the reveal of information solely based on which character’s perspective the audience/reader shares in a given scene. It’s a deeper dive into point of view than the internal first-person/omniscient third-person perspectives we all learned in school, and it’s something I’d been thinking about given the branching storylines in the book I’m writing. 

The essay also takes a look at the importance of the revelation sequence during the characters’ (and audience’s) journey of discovery, as well as when to connect – and not connect – the dots. With any luck, by the time I'm done I'll have done these things correctly.

If you haven’t seen Ex Machina yet, two things you should know:
  1. This video is full of spoilers.
  2. You really should check out this movie – it’s excellent.








No comments:

Post a Comment

First Post: The Story So Far

Hallo. I’m Scot Nolan, though you might know me from reviewing and discussing bad movies over the past ten years as “Nolahn.” But this ...